Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, February 14, 2011

Our Weekend Celebration!

So this weekend we kind of celebrated our "little" anniversary and Valentines all through the weekend with food!  Lol!  And we still have more to come tonight!  But most of you may know that Tom does 95% of the cooking in this home if not more.  I am more of a baker but I don't do it as often as I should.  I do make our own bread with this great bread recipe I got from a ladies Bible study years ago, but that is another post, maybe soon as I need to make some today if possible!  Anyway, Tom made us this awesome Crab dinner on Friday night for our anniversary, as our anniversary is more important to us than Valentine's Day.  He surprised me when I came to the table to find this whole crab "staring at me" from my plate.  We also love asparagus and he got some nice Rosemary spiced bread and sauteed some garlic to put in olive oil to dip the bread in.  To top it off, we had some Sparkling Cider.  I did make a Cherry Chocolate Brownie cake later in the evening for us to enjoy too.  It had Cherry Pie filling in it, and I actually made it wrong because during the process it didn't look right to me so that is why I'm not putting the recipe on here yet because I don't know how it would taste the right way.  It still turned out awesome though, no worries!


Tom made us a special breakfast on Saturday morning of French toast and fried plantains, we still need to perfect that recipe, we don't think the plantains were ripe enough.  Then on Sunday morning I made us a Mixed Berry French Toast with Sauce casserole.  So yummy and I wanted to share the recipe with you.


Ingredients:  12 slices day old bread, 2 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, 1 c. fresh or frozen (thawed) fruit of choice, 12 eggs, 2 c. milk, 1/3 c. of maple syrup or honey
Ingredients for sauce: 1 c. sugar, 2 Tbsp. cornstarch, 1 c. water, 1 c. fresh or frozen (thawed) fruit of choice, 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine.

we didn't actually have day old bread so I just put the slices of bread on cookie sheet and put them in oven to bake at 200 for 10 minutes and it gave them the perfect "day old" feeling.

Cut bread into 1 in. cubes, place half in greased 13x9x2 in. baking dish.  Cut cream cheese into 1 in. cubes, place over bread.  Top with fruit of choice and remaining bread.  In a large bowl, beat eggs.  Add milk and syrup or honey, mix well.  Pour over bread mixture.  Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.  Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, uncover and bake 25-30 minutes more or until golden brown and the center is set.  In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch, add water.  Bring to boil over medium heat, boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Stir in fruit of choice, reduce heat to simmer for 8-10 minutes or until berries (if chosen) have burst.  Stir in butter or margarine until melted, serve over French toast! Makes 6-8 servings.

We used mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and red raspberries) with the honey sweetener and it was so delicious.  This is a recipe from my mother-in-law and she made it for us over Thanksgiving with peaches and that was also so delicious.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment